Monday, September 24, 2012

life lesson

Tonight I am exhausted. Not because my kids were difficult, but because it was one of those days I got to put into practice something I have recently been reminded of. I had a good cry this morning, but it left my kids needing reassurance that they weren't doing anything wrong, and it left me with stinging eyes for the rest of the day. The boys all just came down with colds starting last Wednesday, which made us cancel our trip to meet our new niece. I was already disappointed, then we missed church yesterday because we didn't want to get other kiddos sick. But yesterday afternoon I didn't have to wipe snot from Logan (maybe once or twice), and Brady didn't really cough until he laid down to sleep. Then we put the humidifier in their room, gave him some medicine, and he slept great after that. Sooooo.... Shawn and I made a decision this morning that they were well enough to go to preschool and the childcare at church during my Bible study. Well, one hour into preschool I got a call from his teacher to come pick him up because he was coughing and couldn't pull himself together. :( (she later told me he was coughing into his arm....proud of that! ;) ) So I left Bible study after getting Logan and being told by his teacher that he had a runny nose...ugh! When I got to Brady's school I kind of lost it (or started loosing it). I remember how awful of a winter we had last year and the thought of that is enough to make be go crazy. I remember all the things we missed out on. When I got all the boys loaded up into the car and started crying more, Logan said, "Mommy you can have my ganky." If only his little green blanky could make it all better. So sweet of him though. After I cried a bit I told the boys why I was crying and I made the decision to not let our day get ruined. I have just started a Beth Moore Bible study at church on the book of Esther. I remember reading last night that we have struggles in this life, but it's what we do with it that makes the difference. She said, "When we trust our lives to the hand and pen of an unseen but ever-present God, He will write our lives into His story and every last one of them will turn out to be a great read. With a grand ending. And not just in spite of those catastrophes. Often becasue of them. Don't just wait and see. Live and see." I feel like today God wrote our story how He wanted to. I believe He cares about the details of our lives. I needed to be reminded that my life is His story. I am thankful for the sweet boys God has given me, and I appreciate the little things the boys say to make me smile. For instance, I put a few fall decorations on the mantle during quiet time today and when Logan came out of his room he said, "You did a great job! You made our house special. Let's go downstairs and see how pretty it is downstairs." I treasure those kind words. Tonight the boys and I went on a walk to Starbucks for treats, had a popcorn and movie night, and spent time outside on a beautiful evening. Sweet Blake even got a few pictures while he was eating. I am thankful the boys and I had a good day together and I am thankful for our story.



(This picture isn't from today, but I had to throw it in. :) Brady had beach attire day last week so all the boys wore turtle shirts.)

1 comment:

SMC said...

Hi Trisha, Thanks for this post and for the beautiful quote from Beth Moore's study. My mom has done that and said how wonderful it is. That quote just applies to me right now--I can tell you more sometime. Thank you for being you & for being real. You are a blessing and a good friend, even though we're so far away! Love, Sarah